Friday 26 October 2012

Table Top #1

I had a spare few hours so I built the tabletop for the bench I've been working on. The table top pretty much came out as I wanted, but I'm not 100% happy with the hinges; they'll do for now but I may try to improve them in the future.

Folded tabeltop for Lagun table; teak fiddle rails and WISA Multiwall surfaces.


Folded tabeltop for Lagun table. Showing the rebate for the counterflap hinges chiseled into the edges.

The problem with these hinges is that they are not designed to take the weight of the folding table leaf and anything you put on it (such as elbows). If the hinges take the weight, the leaves bend backwards and will eventually break, or rip out of the wood.  

To prevent this happening, I presumed that the leaves had to be butted very closely to the main table, to allow the fiddle rails to take the weight. But when I butted the two components too closely together, they bound when opening and closing the leaves. I have found a reasonable compromise by sanding a slight bevel into the top edge of the table and leaves along the joint, to prevent binding, but it not a perfect solution. I guess it would be possible to move the leaves apart again, and incorporate a sliding support rail under the table to take the weight, but it adds complication and depth.


Half opened tabeltop for Lagun table. Teak fiddle rails, WISA Multiwall surfaces, and chrome counterflap hinges.

Opened tabeltop for Lagun table. Teak fiddle rails, WISA Multiwall surfaces, and chrome counterflap hinges.

On doing some further research it seems that the only way to get a perfect counterflap when using these hinges, without a sliding support bar, is to have a thicker table profile. The photos below show how these hinges are used on a beautifully made yacht, from Rustler Yachts. I was fairly happy with my effort until I found these photos. Clearly I have a long way to go...

Awesome craftsmenship from Rustler YachtsAwesome craftsmenship from Rustler Yachts







No comments:

Post a Comment